Friday, June 11, 2010

"Day 5": First Collect mission completed!

First Collect level is complete (I guess)! Day 5 is down!

v0.0.0.2.5 means Day 5, a Collect mission, is finished. If none of you read the second post since the blog's creation, Collect is a game mode where you try and collect 50 or more fruits and reach the end before the timer ends! 4 minutes on the clock.

And I will now begin progress on Day 6, the first Escape level. Again, if nobody read said post, Escape is a game mode where you try to outrun a wall of rocks and dodge spears thrown by Tribe Skin, Tribe Fuz's rival tribe. This will be a doozy to develop (to me) but it will be fun. This whole game is fun to make--level designing is fun to test out, minigames are fun to design, and the game modes are fun to polish. I just hope the game is as fun for the players as it is for me.

Collect:
The yellow arrow designates the direction from the player to the finish. It shows up on all 3 standard game modes, Imperial (classic platforming), Collect, and Escape. It'll probably be pretty helpful in all of those modes.

4 comments:

turboRamble said...

I made a quick blog post mentioning and giving constructive feedback on the game (from what I've seen so far from the screenshots): http://turboramble.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/current-news-and-a-quick-review/

iluvfuz said...

Thanks! Much appreciated :) I've heard a bit about the player being too large and the game being a bit too cluttered, so I'll definitely take that into account. One thing I'll try messing around with is zooming the view out while moving.

Note that in-game, you can press Z, C, Up, or Down to move the view left, right, up, or down 100px. I'm not sure if it's any help to some people, so I'm going to find a few ways to widen the view.

The reason why I haven't addressed the cluttering of the background with the foreground is because I'm honestly stubborn about changing it. All of the ground is a solid black and the player is easily distinguishable as a black blob with a face.

Anti-aliasing the ground probably isn't going to happen due to the game system. If I had my way, EVERYTHING would be anti-aliased. But Game Maker's primitive drawing (polygons, circles, etc.) are, by default, always aliased.

Again, thank you very much for the helpful critiques. I'll probably be getting out a playable demo of the first Biome after I get Day 7 completed (last level of the Jungle Biome.)

turboRamble said...

No problem! And it's a shame that the ground can't be blended in a bit better, but I understand what you mean. It's not too noticeable, and I'm sure that in the final version no one will care.

Sounds good man, and keep it up! I know how hard it can be to keep working on a huge game... I certainly have yet to succeed.

-turboRamble

Joshua Conley said...

Looks cool I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 iluvfuz.