Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Design: Polishing the interface

I did more polishing today, which was going to be done sooner or later, so I'm going it sooner. Notably, I smoothed out the transitions between menus and levels, and just smoother in general. This includes fading in and out between the two and also this intro pause to each level:
This creates an intermediate between when you select a level and when you start it. You can also use this time to read the instructions to Errands (if the level you choose is a minigame). It's very smooth in the way that it fades in, the level name (in this case, "Imperial: Day 28") scrolls, fades in after you begin, etc. Details are probably pretty boring for you to hear.

Anyways, a somewhat high priority is going to try to fade out music:
- after selecting a mission from the main menu
- finishing a mission (when the Completed or Failed screen comes up)

GM's function for fading in and fading out is pretty confusing in that I can't get it to work anywhere I put the function.

Small update, I'll be chipping away at finishing levels, but I really want to make this game smooth and not awkward at all. To the extent of my skill, that is.

3 comments:

Andrew Wickens said...

Probably one of the hardest things to do is to make the game have a smooth transition. Really liking the polish put onto this game that I've seen so far, you're doing a great job.

Keep up the awesome work! Hope all goes well with the finishing touches.

P.S. not sure if you got my email, but I'd gladly help test/play around with the game. Just let me know.

iluvfuz said...

To be honest, I had the idea of adding the intermediary screen from the screenshots of your own game, Approaching Dawn. Also, if you WANT to (I don't want you to go out of your way to help), I'd greatly appreciate your help to play or just quickly test through the current stage of the game.

Andrew Wickens said...

Ahh, well, glad that helped!

I'd be honored to play through the game and test it, just send me a message through email (wicko_the_legend190@hotmail.com) or through YoYo Games or wherever suits you!

Thanks!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 iluvfuz.